Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Most Popular Question

So the most popular question after you have a baby is...
"Is she sleeping through the night?"

Well, it depends on what your definition of sleeping through the night is.  I've not really known how to answer this question.  Yes, my baby does sleep well so I'm NOT complaining.  But my definition of sleeping through the night is not having to get up to get her back to sleep.  We are not getting up to feed in the middle of the night, but she does stir.  We are getting up at least one time either at 11:45ish or 2:30ish to get back to sleep with the paci.  THEN comes the 4:00 hour.  She stirs in the 4:00 hour and it is sometimes difficult to get her to settle enough to make it to our wake time at 6:00.  It's such a difficult time to wake because of her reflux I don't want to overfeed her because it makes the spit up worse.  I'm tired, but I can usually limp her along until 6.  We usually have one good night and then a rough night.  But I'm praying for a restful night in the months to come.  Last night when she was crying at 11:45 I literally was in a fog because I had been sleeping so hard.  I feel so guilty for wanting to have sleep because I know there are couples who want a child so badly.  They would give anything for sleepless nights because they would have the child that they have prayed for.

1 comment:

  1. It will get better! There are still nights Katelyn wakes up and talks/sings to herself then goes back to sleep. Sometimes she wants a little drink but many times she will get back to sleep without me. I've always tried to wait it out and see if I'm really needed before running in. Once Cora Jane can put the paci in herself she won't need you quite as much. Having children definitely helps you to appreciate an occasional Sunday afternoon nap or sleeping in til 7:30.
    We were pretty strict with the time we allowed our kids to get up in the morning. I certainly didn't want the 5:00 early riser, so we always put them back in the bed if it wasn't 7:00 (even if it was 6:45). Now they almost never wake up before 7:00 on their own, and most of the time it's closer to 7:30 on the weekends.
    One more thing-- once my maternity leave was over, Brian and I started swapping nights to get up. Every other night we would have the whole night. It was so nice to nudge Brian on his night and say "she's crying. It's your night" then roll over and go back to sleep. I know Donny works some nights but on the nights he's home you should share the responsibilty.

    ReplyDelete